The Alternative Medicine Guide: Use of Acupuncture for Allergies
Alternative medicine, such as acupuncture, has become increasingly popular in recent years and can be used to treat a variety of medical issues. Acupuncture has been used for centuries, yet recent medical research has shown that it can be extremely effective in treating allergies. Here is a guide to understanding the use of acupuncture for allergies.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a form of medicine that utilizes needles to stimulate the body’s qi (pronounced “chee”), which is an invisible life force. The needles are inserted into strategic points of the body in order to balance the qi and restore health. The use of acupuncture points can influence the nervous system and the immune system, which can modulate the body’s response to allergens.
How Does Acupuncture Help with Allergies?
The use of acupuncture can relieve allergy symptoms in the following ways:
- Stimulates the immune system: By stimulating the immune system, acupuncture can help the body fight off allergens.
- Reduces inflammation: Acupuncture can help reduce inflammation and swelling caused by allergens.
- Balances hormones: Acupuncture can help balance hormones, which can reduce the body’s sensitivity to allergens.
What Other Benefits Does Acupuncture Offer?
Acupuncture has many other benefits, including:
- Reduces stress: By promoting relaxation, acupuncture can help reduce stress, which can make allergies more manageable.
- Improves sleep: Acupuncture can help improve overall sleep quality, which can help alleviate allergy symptoms.
- Relieves pain: Acupuncture can help relieve pain, which can make it easier to manage allergy symptoms.
What to Expect From an Acupuncture Treatment for Allergies
Before treatment, a qualified acupuncturist will typically ask questions about the patient’s medical history and lifestyle, as well as perform a physical exam. During a session, the acupuncturist will insert very thin needles into specific points of the body. The needles are typically left in place for 10-30 minutes, during which time the patient may experience a tingling or slight discomfort. After the needles are removed, the patient will typically feel relaxed and improved.
Acupuncture can be a safe and effective treatment for allergies. It can help reduce inflammation, improve sleep, and stimulate the immune system, which can all help manage symptoms. However, it is important to consult a qualified acupuncturist and be sure to follow their treatment regimen.