Natural Approaches to Menstrual Cramps
Menstrual cramps are a common and normal occurrence that can be terribly uncomfortable. Many women looking to avoid strong chemical and hormone-based treatments turn to natural approaches to reduce cramping. Read on to learn more about these natural treatments.
Keeping hydrated is an essential part of dealing with any type of discomfort. When you are experiencing menstrual cramps, drinking plenty of clean, filtered water and sipping on herbal tea is suggested to relieve the pain. Avoid adding refined sugar and chemical artificial flavorings to your beverage of choice.
Your diet is important for overall health and for reducing the pain associated with cramps. Consider adding the following foods to your routine:
- Whole grains to help increase your fiber intake and reduce bloating.
- Leafy greens are high in vitamins, minerals and zinc.
- Legumes are rich in iron and can provide a dose of vital energy.
- Probiotics like yogurt can reduce the bloating associated with cramps.
In case your diet isn’t providing all the relief you need to reduce the pain from cramps, there are lifestyle changes that can offer increased relief.
- Moderate exercise like walking, yoga or swimming can help by redirecting blood flow to the abdominal region.
- Acupuncture increases blood flow and reduces tension in the uterus, leading to significant relief of cramping and pain.
- Heat therapy through a hot water bottle, warm bath, or heating pad can all provide relief.
- Lavender oil is known to offer soothing relief, either directly or through the diffusion of essential oils.
Menstrual cramping is normal and many natural approaches can help reduce the symptoms associated with it. Talk to a health professional and consider incorporating the above tips into your daily routine to reduce the discomfort of menstrual cramps.