Natural Approaches to Men’s Health
Taking a natural approach to men’s health can be important in avoiding unnecessary treatments and medications. Natural health practices can address the body as a whole and support a healthy lifestyle. Doing this can help men to maintain their physical, mental, and emotional well-being in the long-term.
Eat Nutritious Foods
Nutrition plays a key role in men’s health. Eating a balanced diet can help to maintain energy levels and keep the body functioning properly. Suggested foods for men include:
- Fruits & Vegetables – Fruits and vegetables are packed with essential vitamins and minerals that keep the body healthy. Try to aim for 5-9 servings of a variety of different produce a day.
- Whole Grains – Whole grains, such as oatmeal, brown rice, and quinoa, are a natural source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are also associated with a reduced risk of heart disease and other chronic health conditions.
- Lean Proteins – Lean proteins, like lean beef, chicken, fish and eggs, should be included in the diet to help maintain energy levels. Protein helps muscle growth and repair, while also keeping the heart, bones and organs healthy.
- Healthy Oils & Fats – Healthy fats, such as olive oil and avocados, are important for maintaining a healthy metabolism and reducing inflammation levels. Try to limit saturated fats, such as those found in fried foods and red meat.
Regular exercise supports men’s health in many ways. Aside from general maintenance of overall health and fitness, exercise can help to:
- Boost metabolism and improve mood.
- Enhance physical strength, endurance and flexibility.
- Reduce stress levels by releasing endorphins.
- Promote deeper and more restful sleep.
- Support healthy heart rate, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Regular exercise should include activities that target all areas of the body, such as walking, weight-bearing exercises and aerobic activities. Aiming for 30 minutes of exercise each day is ideal, but be sure to break up the activity into 10-minute intervals if needed.
Improve Mental Habits
In addition to physical health, men should take time to nurture their mental health. Negative thinking and stress can take a physical toll on the body, so finding ways to relax and improve cognitive functioning is important. This could include practices such as:
- Meditation – Meditation allows for relaxation and mental clarity. It is a simple practice that can be done anywhere and at any time.
- Positive Affirmations – Affirmations are positive statements used to improve mental well-being. Speaking aloud or writing down affirmations can help to boost self-esteem and limit negative thinking.
- Spend Time Outdoors – Spending time outside can help to calm the mind, reduce stress and connect with nature. It is also an easy way to get some physical movement.
Taking a natural approach to men’s health doesn’t require any major lifestyle changes. Small, meaningful actions can make a considerable difference in promoting strong physical and mental health.