Herbal Medicine for ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a medical condition that has a wide range of physical, emotional, and behavioral symptoms. For those suffering from ADHD, it can often seem impossible to manage the symptoms without the use of stimulant drugs. Fortunately, there are a number of herbal medicines available that can provide relief.
Types of Herbal Medicine
Herbal medicine can provide an effective alternative to the stimulant medications prescribed for those with ADHD. Some of the most common supplements used for ADD/ ADHD are:
- Ginkgo Biloba: This herb has been used to treat neural conditions for centuries in Chinese medicine and is thought to increase circulation in the brain, which can improve focus and concentration.
- Ginseng: This root has been used to increase energy levels and improve concentration for centuries in traditional Chinese and Korean medicine.
- Rhodiola Rosea: This herb, native to Northern Europe and Asia, is thought to help with the symptoms of ADD/ ADHD by increasing the body’s ability to withstand stress.
- Bacopa Monniera: This herb is derived from a tropical plant and is thought to have a calming effect on the nervous system and may improve memory and concentration.
- Valerian Root: This herb is native to Europe and Asia and is thought to have a calming effect on the central nervous system, which can help to reduce anxiety and restlessness.
Benefits of Herbal Medicine
One of the main benefits of using herbal medicines to treat ADHD is that they are natural and have fewer side effects than conventional medications. Traditional treatment of ADD/ ADHD often involves stimulant medications, which can have associated risks including insomnia, decreased appetite, and potential addiction. Herbal medicines, by comparison, are thought to be much safer.
Herbal medicines may also provide relief from some of the longer-term psychological symptoms of ADHD, such as anxiety and depression. This can help to improve overall quality of life for those suffering from the condition and make it easier to cope with the associated challenges.
Although medicinal herbs may not provide a complete cure for ADHD, they can help to provide relief from symptoms and improve quality of life. Herbal medicine is a natural and non-addictive alternative to traditional drugs, and so should be considered as an option for those suffering from ADD/ ADHD.